When you are ready to do some roof repair on your home, you want to hire the very best. It is important to go with a company, and a contractor, who not only knows how to take care of your roofing, but who will be friendly, professional, and get the work done. Some of the steps you can take to help you pick the right roofing contractor include:
Start the Search
It is important to start your search with a few criteria in mind. This helps you find a good roofing contractor who can not only get the job done but one who knows what they are doing and can provide you with exceptional quality and service.
A competent roofer can provide you with good advice on the products, without trying to upsell simply to make a profit. They also know how to explain the roof repair and provide you with solid results. Your goal is to get a durable roof that lasts.
There are many ways to start your search and make sure you get a roofer who knows what they are doing. Some options include:
- Talk to local supplies of building products. They may have a list of potential roofers to help you.
- Check with local and state licensing authorities. This helps give you a list of a roofer who is not only qualified but also certified to work in your area.
- Ask people you know. If there are homeowners in your town who have gotten their roof down recently, then contact them to see who they used.
Meet Potential Contractors
It is always a good idea to meet your potential contractors before they start the roof repair. You should have a list of a few contractors you are interested in. Don’t just take the word of someone else though; you should also interview them to make sure they are right for the job. A professional contractor will be happy to provide all the information you need.
This can help to reduce your list as well. You may be surprised by how many contractors never respond. If the contractor won’t get back to you to answer your questions, then they are probably not the right choice for the job.
Ask the Right Questions
While meeting with a potential contractor, take the time to ask the right questions as well. The more you can learn about the contractor and their business before you hire them, the easier it is to know you made the right decision.
Set up a meeting with the contractor to discuss what you need down on your roof repair and the qualifications of the contractor. Always pay attention to the attitude of the representative. They should be enthusiastic about working with you to solve your roofing problems. Some information you should ask for from the contractor includes:
- Their business name and address. You should also get a telephone number.
- Ask about their experience including how long they have been in business.
- Licensing and bonding, especially if this is required in your state.
- Ask for insurance coverage. This should be something the company has so you won’t be held liable if things go wrong.
- Professional references of others who have used them.
- The company philosophy. This may include things like workmanship guarantees.
While they are at your home, ask the contractor to provide an estimate of how much it would cost to repair your roof. This helps you to get a few numbers and decide on the contractor based on this information.
After interviewing a few potential contractors, you should have a better idea of who is the best for your job. You can then work together with them, signing the contract, submitting payment, and setting up the dates when they will come to repair your roof!